Monday, August 27, 2012

Thank you, Sir. May I have another?

I often forget how "old" I am.  I'm not really old, only 35, but some days my body feels its age and my brain seems shocked by how I feel.  I think to myself, "Why am I so sore?"  Then, I remember that over the course of the day I did 2 hours of strenuous exercise at the gym, held my 18 month old baby for an aggregate of several hours, walked the girls to the Mall and back (about 2.5 miles pushing the 25 pound double stroller and 55 pounds of children), scrubbed the floors and shampooed the carpets.  That's not to mention running around picking up after the kids and straightening up all day long... and that's pretty much a typical day's worth of activity.

This weekend, I felt like my body had been pulverized.  Yet, in the quiet hours when everyone was napping, I wanted to hop on the elliptical machine.  Did I?  No.  I gave myself a break.

It's Monday morning, and I'm about ready to head to the gym for an hour of boxing and intense cardio, then training a client.  Then, it's work/play with the kids and work around the house.  Somehow, after half a day of tiresome activity, I have to muster the energy for a training session with a friend where I'll do who knows what.

I'm wondering why I'm doing all of this.  I've lost almost all of the pounds I can lose, I'm pretty well toned, and it's really only down hill from here if I let myself go as I age.  I guess it's because I like the feeling when I'm challenging myself, and I also have a bigger-picture goal to help others get to a better place physically.  If I want to have a successful business of training others in the future, I have to be an example of courage, diligence and freedom to accept when I'm not "feelin' it"... or at least that's the thought I'm using to get through the day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment