Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Look Good, Feel Good, Do Good"

My paternal grandmother, who was a Journalism major at USC in the early 1940's, used to think it was so funny to use poor grammar around me.  I grew up in Texas during the early years, and I had no idea that what she was saying was incorrect.  Everyone there had poor grammar, so I couldn't tell the difference. That bothered her.

When my twin brother and I were 11, however, my parents decided to move us "home" to Southern California.  Slowly, I acclimated, and now I can't possibly think of myself as anything other than a "Valley Girl".  I act like one, I talk like one, and I see the world differently than I would have if I'd been raised until adulthood in Arlington, Texas.  And I love the So. Cal girl that I am.

Back to the grammar: Feeling lousy right before I was off to a National cheerleading competition in Anaheim, my grandma encouraged me to put on a shade lighter lipstick.  She told me something that I repeat often, "Look good, feel good, do good."  It made me laugh because I knew it was one of those instances when she was trying to cheer me up by being grammatically incorrect, but the message was actually pretty profound to me at the time.

Taking that to heart almost every day of my life since then, I wear makeup pretty much every minute, unless just out of the shower or in bed for the night.  I don't always wear lipstick, but I definitely do if I need a little extra to help me "feel good, do good".

Today is one of those days.  I was a bit lazy this morning, exercise-wise, but I made myself busy with the kids and around the house.  By 1:30 in the afternoon, I was so tired and unmotivated to get ready for my training session that I needed a re-application of my makeup.  Now, all made up, I'm ready to go sweat it almost completely off (except the mascara, which is waterproof).

I don't feel weird about this in the least.  Most of the female Olympic athletes wore makeup during the games two weeks ago (and often other adornments, like earrings, necklaces, hair accessories, etc.), and that wasn't only for the cameras, I'm pretty sure.  They are badass ladies who want to look good while sweating profusely, fighting for their personal bests and medals, and while accepting the accolades they deserve.  Why shouldn't I do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment