Friday, August 24, 2012

I'll take it

It didn't invoke chills or make me blush (that would be weird, considering I'm a heterosexual), but I got some pretty nice compliments from a hot, badass chick in the locker room today. 

I see this chick around the gym all the time, but I've been too intimidated to meet her.  I've heard she "competes", and I know she is very serious and regimented in her workouts.  Normally, I can walk up to anyone and introduce myself while I'm there, but the ultra-buff people don't give me warm-fuzzies.  I just feel too "normal" next to them.  I'm sure they're nice people with normal lives, like me, but they're tan, cut, have strange voices (maybe it's the steroids?), and have fierce looks on their faces.  I may be doing the same exercises as them, and sometimes even lifting the same amount of weight for the same amount of reps and sets.  But rather than having blank eyes like they do, I'm usually smiling/bright-eyed or saying "hi" to someone.  I want to be fierce without being intimidating.  But this particular girl does not look approachable, so I don't ever bother, even when I need to use a machine after she's done without making her re-rack her weights.  I simply stay out of her way and try not to look at her.

Nevertheless, we had an awkward incident in the locker room, where some of our stuff on the bench got mixed up as we were trying to pack up after our showers.  She strangely interacted with me about her water bottle or something.  I don't really remember.  Then, she said (and this I remember), "You know, you have a really cute figure.  I've seen you work really hard the past year, and your results are amazing."

I blushed and said, stuttering a little bit, "Thanks.  I really do work hard.  It's obvious you do, too," I said as I motioned to her body.  Then, I gulped, hoping that this interaction would not carry on much further because it was already weird enough.

She came back with, "You should model."

I almost replied, "Did you lose your contacts in the shower?"  But I held my tongue.  I just told her that I'm thinking about it.

Truth is, I'd love to enter a fitness bikini contest in a couple of years.  I approached my husband about it, and being the conservative that he is, he said, "I'm disappointed you even asked.  Your heart should have already told you it was not okay."  I tried to explain that there were some competitions where the bikinis are very regulated and not too skimpy, and that I would have a layer of spray tan all over my skin to act as a mask over my true self, but he fell asleep during the discussion (passive-aggressive much?). 

Anyway, that's off the table for now.  Maybe there will be some time when I can show off just a little bit to a broader audience, reviving the performer in me that has gone dormant. Or maybe not.  Either way, I still have the goal to be as fit as I can be and look like those bikini contestants in some ways (not body-building, but lean, smooth muscle all over while maintaining some curves).

All-in-all, I enjoyed being complimented and encouraged by that girl.  I think I'll smile at her when I see her at the gym next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment