Saturday, September 8, 2012

Let's get naked

Why does it always seem like men don't mind stripping down in front of each other in the locker room?  Movies and tv shows portray men hanging out naked together in any sort of locker room as "normal" (gym, country club, police station).  Sure, there's often the funny scene where they are comparing themselves to someone else, but they remain nude together nonetheless.

I don't think the same thing goes for women.  I'm not sure many of us ever want to be naked in front of one another for very long, if ever.  I stay naked/partially naked a lot at home because I just can't seem to get clothes on without the little ones bothering me, and I also was breastfeeding until not long ago.  So, at home it's a very normal thing for me and my girls to be au naturale.  However, at the gym, I have no desire to be naked in front of or with any other female in the locker room.

My new gym, unfortunately, pretty much requires partial nudity because of the way it's set up.  Talk about getting out of my comfort zone!  It's designed so that you can't bring your gym bag or even your clothes into the shower area with you, or else they'll get drenched.  There are no hangers or benches in there.  So, you have to strip, stow your clothes, try to cover yourself with the smallish towels they give you, and then walk to the shower area.  Who designed this locker room, a man?  Anyway, now I have to figure out whether I want to shower there or head back to my other gym (which had a very comfortable setup for modesty), feign a workout, then take a shower there.

I'm not exactly sure what anyone can glean from today's ramblings, except to continue to understand my mind: I'm proud of how my body's shaping up, I love it when I get noticed (read my posts, "I'll take it" and "My grandma thinks I'm hot"), but I'm still modest and a bit insecure.  I think that makes me a real badass woman -- I'm strong, I strive for excellence, but I am relatable.  I hope others always see me that way, whether we're naked together in a locker room or hanging out having coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment