Sunday, November 18, 2012

Strength Training for Women

I have a few new clients who really love their Zumba and "spinning" classes, but they are experiencing either a plateau or very slow weight loss.  I truly believe, and research shows, that this is because they have not built strength training into their exercise routine.  That's why they've come to see me -- to learn new ways to maximize their weight loss success. 

Since I have emphasized weight lifting/strength training in my weekly regimen, I have neither plateaued nor slowed down my progress toward a firmer, more fit body.  I'm also not as tired after strength training as I am after a cardio class.  Sure, I haven't burned as many calories after an hour of lifting/body weight exercises as compared to the cardio class.  However, my muscles chew up the fat and excess water weight for a prolonged period of time after my strength training than they do after an hour of running or dancing around.  Plus, I get to target the areas I want to target, and I'm in control of my shape.

Believe me, those classes can be fun.  So can running, taking long walks, going dancing, hiking, etc.  Exercise is the one of the spices of life.  I hope I always look for new ways to get my heart pumping every single day.

I have linked an article that I think is a quick, comprehensive introduction to why strength training is important.  As a personal trainer, I try to teach my clients the principles outlined in the article and those that I have learned through my classes, textbooks and personal experience. 

Read up, and get stronger!  
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips

No comments:

Post a Comment