Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Success is Your Success

Yesterday, after finishing off a 15-week program with a client of mine, we hugged and blessed each other and bounced away in opposite directions, feeling proud of ourselves for many reasons:  She more than hit her goal (original goal: 4% body fat loss, reached: 7% loss), developed a stronger sense of self-worth and power, and learned how to stop hindering herself from feeling the strength that God gave her.  I was proud that I could be a positive part of her process.

Before we parted ways (we will see each other again soon, an I hope to train and counsel her on nutrition for years to come), she said something that all at once made me pleased and curious, "My success is your success."  I was pleased because I believe that with my influence she now has the strength to take herself farther and become more successful in this phase of her life.  Because I love her, I am pleased that she is richer from the experience.

I was also curious. Is her success my success?  Now that I think about it, I am reminded that my success is my success, and her success just blesses me.  Her success doesn't increase my success.  It only makes me happier.  My success is earned by my hard work and education, etc.  I also earned it by working hard on myself and staying strong in my faith, so that I can have a cup that overflows to others.

The reason I'm even mentioning this important interaction is because I want to remind my readers (and myself), that your success is your success -- earned by you, assisted by others, blessed by God.  Others' successes add to your happiness but don't define you or add to your sense of self.  Don't allow yourself to attach yourself to anyone else's success.  Create it for yourself, accept assistance and blessings, and pour it out onto others.

No comments:

Post a Comment