Sunday, October 9, 2016

Take a Minute: Serve Others, Feel Awesome

On Sunday, I got a "two-fer".  You know, a "two-for-one" special.  As a mom, I understand how difficult it may be to feel supported.  So, when I was asked to be of service at The 8th Annual Rose Run this past weekend, I was happy that I was able to get out there and be a part of it.

It may seem an obscure way to serve, but the reason I'm writing about it is so that we can think outside the box a bit: a personal training client and mommy-friend of mine asked me to run the race with her daughter in her place.  This mommy was manning the water station, and she also has a back injury, so she was unable to run in the race with her daughter.  Her daughter had aspirations of running this race in support of her best friend's mother, and also to hit a personal goal of not stopping before the finish line.

The impact it made on me was two-fold: I helped a mommy be able to serve and support the cause of the race, and I helped the girl accomplish her goal of participating in and finishing the race strong.  Sometimes life is super busy, and we can't give a whole lot of ourselves (i.e. I wish I had been able to be of bigger help to Jessica Cribbs, the organizer of the event, who is Super Mom).  Yet, we should be open to helping in ways that we can.  I was able to give up a few hours of my time to support my friend in making an impact on the runners' experience at the water station, and I was able to coach her young daughter -- and a couple of her friends, incidentally --
during the race and help them feel AMAZING as they crossed the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment